Me as a leader

in between the NPQH events are some webinars and the first of these was last week thinking about the topic ‘me as a leader’. It was really interesting to listen to somehow talk about their journey entering a school where they felt everything was against 5em. Where no one eBelieved in the children. Someone whose faith clearly made a big difference even though they were not in a faith school. The vision of living life to the full and all the Christian values that underpinned it was really inspiring. One of the things I keep realising are the differences I have experienced as a leader of a faith school compared to the community schools I’ve worked in previously. Experiences like my recent SIAMS inspection led me to wanting to remain in a church school for the foreseeable. However this webinar made me realise that perhaps it doesn’t have to be for me to take what I have learnt from being in a church school wherever I go in 5e future.

It was obvious how working from the vision and values up had transformed the school community. We explored together what sustains us as leaders and how we can build that in to the day for me that means not just going to the gym at 6am but maybe finding a way to build exercise into my day. If not that way then maybe 30 mins to pray and reflect on my bible in the day. It reminded me of the quote when I’m busy I pray for an hour, when I’m really busy I pray for three hours! I think that some of the times when I have felt most overwhelmed and stressed I need to get off site. I’m so fortunate to work in a beautiful village. A walk or a short drive and I would be in the countryside. I need to make this happen more.

We also thought about the way that vision and values can lead into a curriculum and this is something I find really interesting because  as we are about to review our curriculum and ensure it meets the needs of us as a school I’d love to think more about how our values ar descretely taught through it. Values is not just something that is covered in RE but by having PSHe that runs through the school at the core. Discrete and specific both have a place. This was something the school o, were currently looking at and something I will continue to ponder.

We looked at how big an impact ofsted were to the decisions that we make. I think all leaders would be lying if they were to say they had no impact however there  is a big difference between doing things FOR ofsted and doing things Ofsted may value because they are the right things for their school. Staff wellbeing is important to me because I value the staff who work in the school. A curriculum that is providing the best possible opportunities for children is important to me so that all children flourish. These things are currently in favour with ofsted but that is not my motivation.


I found the webinar really helpful. I think in preparation for getting my assignments done the opportunity to stop and reflect on the decisions that I make as a leader is really helpful and gives me confidence to make decisions that I might not otherwise have done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading millennials

Leading millennials II

Learning event day 2