Difficult decisions

Sometimes it feels like whatever direction I turn I can't make the right decision. Someone is going to be unhappy. I know leadership isn't about making people happy however having a demotivated staff and making them unhappy helps no one.

So how do you turn around the morale and feelings of frustrations? I have tried listening and adjusting the timetable- starting after Easter- and I think it will work and be a better timetable. But I also feel called to address work/life balance. Especially after reading this article.

So what's the solution. I think I need to start by looking at what the expectations are. How much above and beyond teaching are we asking. I admit I think it might scare me. As part of the difficult decision I will be job sharing a class instead of doing cover. Half of me is excited, the other half is terrified. Yes I've balenced the leadership responsibilites with class ones before but I also get attached. I want to do the best for my class.

I see teachers whose morale is low and know that their motivation to stay at my school must also be low. Yet I love this school, these children and I want them to feel the same way. Surely I have a responsibility to avoid burn out and to try and raise retention levels. I want to make school a fun place to work and learn. With a buzzing atmosphere where even when difficult decisions are made the team support them and make the best of them.

So how? Well I'm starting with the list and would love to hear ideas. I don't think its about quick fixes but it is about empowering teachers and prioritising expectations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading millennials

Leading millennials II

Learning event day 2